Vaccines
I had been forewarned about the costs, but it’s still a shock to spend $1,000 on vaccines. The most expensive has been a series of 3 shots for rabies. It doesn’t offer full protection, but if you’re exposed only 2 follow-up shots are needed. I didn’t get this one before going to C.America. On that trip, I’d regularly see packs of 10-15 dogs roaming city or rural streets. I’ve heard it’s about the same in SE Asia and India where rabies is a problem, so I’ve decided to play it safe this time.
The medical center though won’t give me the vaccine for Japanese Encephalitis, which is prevalent in SE Asia, but not Japan. One time I was hiking alone in some canyons eating some gorp when I started breaking out in spots. Turns out I’m allergic to some nuts. The JE vaccine can cause anaphylactic shock anytime up to ten days after receiving it. So they won’t administer it to anyone who has had a bad allergic reaction. J Encephalitis is spread by mosquitoes and causes brain swelling, resulting in death in 1 out of 4 severe cases. I wasn’t told how many cases end up being ‘severe’. I’m a little worried, but on the flip side I saved $340 not having to get that one.
The medical center though won’t give me the vaccine for Japanese Encephalitis, which is prevalent in SE Asia, but not Japan. One time I was hiking alone in some canyons eating some gorp when I started breaking out in spots. Turns out I’m allergic to some nuts. The JE vaccine can cause anaphylactic shock anytime up to ten days after receiving it. So they won’t administer it to anyone who has had a bad allergic reaction. J Encephalitis is spread by mosquitoes and causes brain swelling, resulting in death in 1 out of 4 severe cases. I wasn’t told how many cases end up being ‘severe’. I’m a little worried, but on the flip side I saved $340 not having to get that one.
4 Comments:
At 1:36 PM,
Anonymous said…
$1000 is a bargain. The African vaccines cost me almost $1600, which is a real drag since I still haven't set foot in Africa.
Still though, if you wind up getting bitten by one of those mangy Bangkok dogs something tells me you won't miss the cash :)
At 6:14 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey Ted! I love your blog. The pictures from camp are fantastic. It's neat to see your kids, too. It looks like they were having a great time. I wouldn't get that close to elk. :)
Claire
At 10:00 AM,
Anonymous said…
I used to be allergic to peanuts but out grew it in my fifties.
At 10:01 AM,
Anonymous said…
Forgot the last "d".Typing not a strong point.
Post a Comment
<< Home