Vacation from a Vacation
End of January, into Thailand from Laos and headed immediately to the south. Have had nearly zero beach time so far, time to partake. My first stop was the island of Koh Tao. Two years ago I picked up my PADI scuba diving certification in Honduras and here was my first chance to get back down below. The island is filled with dive shops which keeps the prices low. I went with a smaller shop hoping for small dive groups. I lucked out, took a refresher course with another guy who hadn't dove in years, and after that we buddied up on 4 more dives with only us and a dive master to lead. I'd just like to say again that the cost of diving is the best money I've ever spent. You are entering another world, probably better than being on the moon because you still have a floating sensation, but at the same time are surrounded by hundreds of different creatures that look nothing like what you'll see in your aquarium. 
After the dives, I jumped one more island south to Koh Pha Nagn. The main beach was overwhelmed with travelers and every shop imaginable to cater to them. Not what i was looking for. Quick detour to a beach north accessible only by boat or an hour and a half hike through the jungle. On the beach of Had Tien, lies The Sanctuary, a lovely mid-size resort, but best of all they have a dorm room making it accommodating to backpackers. The place is a health resort offering yoga, wellness programs, cleansing routines, and other course. I brushed up with a 7 day yoga course, but the rest of time was spent in hammocks reading or dozing with an ocean breeze or at a dining table, trying all the great foods available at their vegetarian restaurant. If you'd like more info, here's The Sanctuary site .
After the dives, I jumped one more island south to Koh Pha Nagn. The main beach was overwhelmed with travelers and every shop imaginable to cater to them. Not what i was looking for. Quick detour to a beach north accessible only by boat or an hour and a half hike through the jungle. On the beach of Had Tien, lies The Sanctuary, a lovely mid-size resort, but best of all they have a dorm room making it accommodating to backpackers. The place is a health resort offering yoga, wellness programs, cleansing routines, and other course. I brushed up with a 7 day yoga course, but the rest of time was spent in hammocks reading or dozing with an ocean breeze or at a dining table, trying all the great foods available at their vegetarian restaurant. If you'd like more info, here's The Sanctuary site .
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home